What are Best Vapes?
“Vapes” is short for vaporizers. It is an informal word for describing vaping devices, like e-cigarettes and cig-a-likes. Vapes can also refer to units for dry herbs, and oil or wax concentrates, as well as all starter kits.
Whatever the material, a vape has these essential parts:
- A battery
- A tank or loading chamber
- A heating element or coil/wick atomizer
Vaping units can come in many shapes and sizes, but they all contain these three necessary components. With these basics covered, units begin to get divided depending on the material a user wants to vape.
Our Picks for the Best Vapes of 2019
Vapes Based on Vaping Material
The best vape is the “best” based on what it vaporizes and how well it does it. Three materials are the most popular:
- E-liquid is a mixture of propylene glycol, glycerin, water, flavorings and nicotine that fills an e-cigarette tank or cartomizer so users can vape it
- Dry herbs are ground-up, plant material (usually cannabis) that users can load into a chamber and heat to create vapor, rather than combusting and smoking the substance
- Oil/wax concentrates are THC or CBD-based extracts, waxy or oily in appearance that users can load into pens (some oils come in pre-filled cartridges) and vaporize
Each material has its own needs and requirements that its vape tries to tackle. Every vaper has their criteria of what the best vape should be able to do as well.
E-Liquids: Mouth-to-Lung or Direct-Lung
E-liquid vaping divides into two categories:
- Mouth-to-lung or MTL refers to how vapers inhale their vapor (mouth-then-lungs), which is the style that most resembles smoking a cigarette. MTL vapers prefer standard or high PG e-juices, and low-wattage vapes with high-resistance coils that deliver a noticeable throat hit
- Direct-lung, or DL, is another method of inhaling (directly into the lungs) that is common for sub-ohm tanks, coils, and mods, DL vapers prefer high-VG e-juice, high-wattage vapes with low-resistance coils to produce large vapor clouds
From here, there are e-liquid vapes and starter kit that cater to both styles. Take box mods, for example. These are high-powered, advanced vaping machines.
If someone is using one, this means they want lots of power, control, and huge plumes of vapor. They want the intense experience that box mods offer, which is what makers build their vapes to do.
Manufacturers outfit their high-performing mods with adjustable power and temperature settings, sophisticated chipsets, and high-quality build materials. On the other hand, if someone is looking for a low-intensity vape, they would try something like a vape pen or pod mod.
These models are heavy on flavor and low on clouds. These vapes make less of a statement, in terms of cloud-making, but they still deliver satisfying vapor. Pod mods and vape pens have smaller capacity tanks and batteries. They are much more compact and easier-to-use than box mods.
Only, they do not deliver the same level of customization that box mods offer. They do not have adjustable settings or downloadable firmware that box mods are famous for having. Between these two extremes, though, are e-liquid vaping devices that are capable of both styles.
Dry Herbs: Convection vs. Conduction
Dry herb vaporizers are split between two heating types:
- Conduction, which vaporizes material through direct contact with a ceramic, quartz or stainless steel heating element, and produces thicker, more voluminous clouds
- Convection, which passes hot air through plant material to create vapor that is smoother, and more flavorful than conduction-style units
There are distinctions other than heating style to consider among weed vaporizers. For dry herb lovers, units can also either be:
- Portable or for home-use only (desktop units)
- Have preset or adjustable temperature settings
- Vape both herbs and waxes or only herbs
Oil and Concentrates: Better than Herb Vaping?
Oil and wax concentrates are pure THC or CBD, the two active ingredients of the marijuana plant, in oil or wax form. Depending on the extraction process, THC or CBD can take on different colors, textures, and consistencies.
Oil and wax are the most common. The advantages of concentrates vaping include:
- No plant material (stems, seeds, etc.) is present in the vapor
- Concentrates are much more potent than traditional flowers
- They are versatile; people can vape them, take them orally or include them in edible products (in the case of oils)
- CBD oil is, unlike THC oil, non-psychoactive, so it does not produce a high. Instead, users vape CBD for health and therapeutic reasons.
Vapers turn to oil and wax pens to vape these new substances. Concentrates vapes are different from herb pens for many reasons:
- Because of the substance, oil and wax pens are much smaller, portable and discreet than herb vape pens
- Distillate pens also do not have precise temperature control but use preset temperatures, usually between 2-4, to vape concentrates
- They use either a coil/rod atomizer or a flat, disc-shaped heating element to vape concentrates, which are different from dry herb heating ovens
Best Vape Brands to Watch
One brand on this list that excels in creating vapes for all three vaping media is Mig Vapor. They have four vapes on this list for a reason. Of the four, three are e-liquid devices that come in starter kits, and one is the DRAY as mentioned earlier, which is a dry herb unit. Mig Vapor also makes concentrates pens.
Why is Mig Vapor consistently top-rated? They make quality products. Mig Vapor’s vapes have everything that vapers want and look for in any vape: reliability, durability, and performance.
Vaporesso is a giant in the e-liquid world. They make only e-juice vapes, but they are some of the most advanced mods out there. The OMNI board is the proprietary chipset that Vaporesso installs in all its units. The OMNI is also one of the most sophisticated in all vaping.
The Juul, ever since its release in 2015 has dominated the e-cigarette industry. It is an e-cigarette that uses pods, pre-filled with nicotine salts. The makers of the Juul, Pax Labs, also makes a Juul-like device for vaping oils, the Era.
What to Look for in a Best Vape
Anyone looking into getting a vaporizer, or a starter kit must first know what they want to vape. As we have explained, deciding on the vaping material determines what vape it will need.
Whether someone is entirely new to any kind of vaping is also something to consider.
Starter kits for e-liquid, dry herbs, and wax pens would be the place to start for new vapers.
Starter kits are more focused toward e-cigs, though. They come fully-accessorized, so vapers have everything they need to use and maintain their vapes.
Whereas, herb and wax units are self-contained. They have no, or few, removable sections and have all their vital parts already inside the vape, which also makes them easy-to-use.
The best bet would be to:
- Decide on either e-liquid, dry herbs, or oils and waxes
- Start with beginner vapes or starter kits, like cig-a-likes, or for herbs and waxes, pens that have few user controls or input
- Look for quality build materials, no plastics, glue or cheap metals
- Find reasonably priced items
- Read up on brands and vapes
Prices for the Best Vapes in 2019: Take Your Pick!
|Category 📋||Best Vapes 🔥||Price 💲||Best Place to Buy 🛒|
|Best E-Cig for Switchers||Mig Cig Standard E-Cig Kit||$59.95||Buy Mig Cig Standard Kit|
|Best Pocketable Vaporizer||Mig Vapor DRAY||$149.95||Buy Mig Vapor DRAY|
|Best Mid-Priced Vape Mod||Vaporesso Polar 220W||$48.95||Buy Vaporesso Polar 220W|
|Tube Mod for Sub-Ohm Vaping||Mig Vapor Morpheus||$69.95||Buy Morpheus by Mig Vapor|
|Easy-to-use Vape Pen||Mig Vapor SR-72||$59.95||Buy SR-72|
|Pod Vape Both For E-liquids and Oils||Kandypens Rubi||$49.95||Buy Kandypens Rubi|
|Best Starter Kit for Flavor Quality||Aspire Breeze 2||$23.95||Buy Aspire Breeze 2|
|Powerful and Simple Wax Vape Pen||WASP Wax Vape Pen||$59.95||Buy WASP Wax Vape Pen|
|Best MTL Vaping Experience||Innokin Zenith||$28||Buy Innokin Zenith|
|Best Vape Juice Taste||Lava Flow by NKD 100||$13.99||Buy Lava Flow|
Buying the Best Vape
Vapes are available from many different outlets. All the vapes listed here can be bought both online and in-stores. They can also come from the manufacturer direct, like in the case of Mig Vapor and the Juul.
Online vendors often offer special discounts and promos for individual vapes. They also offer extras and upgrades for products and ship very fast.
Brick-and-mortar shops are also good places to buy gear. Shops offer the advantage of having someone answer questions to help find the right vape. Vape shop prices might be a little higher, but not always so be sure to do research and make price comparisons.
Best Vapes: Only the Beginning
Did you enjoy our list of the best vapes of 2019? Do you already have any of the vapes on our list? Was there anything that you didn’t see on the list that you wanted to see? Let us know in the comments section what was the best vape of 2019 for you?
All the vapes here are a mix of different styles, materials, and characteristics. They cover a wide range of capabilities and functions. They are all well-priced compared to their performance and quality. The Vaporesso Polar represents the best of high-tech mods, with its brand new Omni 4.0 chipset.
The Juul and Morpheus sit at opposite ends of the pen-style spectrum and are more like starter kits. The Juul is sleight, and compact, whereas the Morpheus is big, bulky and high-powered. The DRAY has adjustable temperature settings, but they are so easy-to-use, no one would say it is an advanced vape.
The middle space that these vapes occupy regarding their abilities and performance is why they are the best. They all have something for everyone.