While other mods are unregulated and have no internal electronics or regulation, which is the best style for certain vaping enthusiasts. Mech mods use the full power of their vape batteries. These mods also have different designs. The majority use 510-connections to work with similarly threaded vape tanks and atomizers. While some use sub-ohm tanks, a few of these vape mods also use the bottom-feeder or squonk style, which is a new type of vape, although it came out before 2019.
The Best Box Mods of 2019 - Rated from Advanced to Beginner Use
The new 2019 vape devices listed here are all box mods so they feature either a single or dual-cell mod section paired with an e-juice tank. They are also rated from the easiest-mod-to-use for beginners to the box vape mod that is most for advanced, long-time vapers. A lot of these vape devices are user-friendly though as they have easy-to-read screens, and control configurations that are familiar to all vapers.
The Best DNA Vape Mods
The DNA chip by Evolv is one of the most advanced chips in all of vaping, if not the best. Even in 2019, there are few chips that can match it. The chip ushered in the era of both variable wattage and temperature control, as they were the first boards to carry those features. The DNA, which has many versions, from the DNA60 to the DNA200, can be found in many different mods from many different brands. The chip works in tandem with EScribe software that allows an endless amount of customization not offered by another other board, making the DNA one of the best.
The Best Squonk Mods
A squonk mod is a device with an internal reservoir – a plastic or silicone squeeze bottle, usually – that pushes liquid through a special 510-pin to an atomizer above. The bottles have a large e-juice capacity between 6-10ml, more so than typical sub-ohm tanks. Squonk vape mods can be regulated (with internal circuits and adjustable features) or unregulated with no internal circuit board or adjustable vaping settings.
The Best Mech Mods
Mech mods are unregulated vape devices that consist of a single-18650 battery in a copper, or brass, or any other metal tube that has a hybrid 510-connection on top for use with RDA, RBA and other tank atomizers that have a protruding 510-pin. They also feature a firing switch on the other end.
Mech mods have no internal circuitry or chips that offer power regulation, or battery protection, although semi-mechanical mods do exist. Semi-mechanical devices do have chips that have safety features but no power regulation or adjustable settings.
Mech mods are not for new or inexperienced vapers. Only people with experience vaping, and a deep knowledge of Ohm’s law, battery amperage, or ratings should ever use a mechanical mod. They appear simple, and easy-to-operate, but many things about a mech mod could go wrong that may result in physical harm and even loss of life.
The Best Vape Mods of 2019: A Deeper Look into Vape Mods
A vape mod is two-part device that combines an e-liquid atomizer (tank) with a battery section aka mod that powers the heating element in the tank aka a coil. The mod section contains either a single, or multiple batteries, for example there are:
- Single-18650 mods
- Dual-18650 mods
- Triple-18650 mods
- Quad-18650 mods
These are the most common, and some say, best, battery types, but there are others. The 20700 and 21700 cell types are also common to most, late-model mods, but the 18650 remains the best bedrock power source as brands like SMOK and Vaporesso use them for their reliability and performance.
Among vape mods, there are other distinctions, primarily between:
- Mech Mods
- Tube Mods
- Squonk Mods
- DNA Mods
Types of Vape Box Mods
The best vape mods have many differences among them, but maybe the most important are the differences between regulated and unregulated mods, as there are several. Every regulated mod has the following:
- Chip aka chipset, board – the main processing unit of every regulated vape mod, a chip sits between the atomizer and the battery to prevent short-circuits, overcharging as well as to control or “regulate” how much power runs to the coil inside the tank
- Control panel – regulated mods have various vape settings, and vaping features that users control via a control configuration that usually consists of an LED or OLED display (or a TFT or touchscreen for top-shelf models) and a single, dual, triple or quad button array located on the mod
- 510-connection – all vape mods, regulated, unregulated, and squonk have a 510-pin, although squonk pins have a small opening to allow e-juice into the atomizer above it
- Tanks – the e-juice tank, or atomizer, or clearomizer is another essential part of regulated vape box mods, as tanks hold the e-liquid to be vaporized
There are different unregulated vape mods as well that have several differences among them:
- Mechanical mods – are single cell devices, with a copper, brass or stainless steel tube housing it with a standard 510-connection for the atomizer
- Hybrid mods – are built like and have the same single-cell configuration as mech mods but they have a hybrid top cap that allows for a direct-to-battery (DTB) connection for the atomizer that has a hybrid 510 pin
- Series or parallel mods – have more than one battery; the cells work together (in “series”) to generate power (more than a single battery) for low resistance coil builds that hit harder and faster than traditional mech mods
How to Use a Vape Mod
All new vape mods require a learning curve before they can be used properly. Vape box mods also come with user manuals and instructions, but after using any vape box mod for a long time, whether regulated, squonk or unregulated, it becomes easier to use any vape mod.
Regulated Vape Mods
These are some simple basic rules that anyone should follow when using even the best regulated box vape mod:
- Charge the batteries: Fully charge all vape batteries before using the device, regulated vape box mods guarantee a consistent voltage output, but still using charged batteries ensures the best performance
- Know your device: All the best vape units come with certain parameters or limits, like a 100W maximum power output, or a resistance range between certain limits, make sure you know all these restrictions
- Use only compatible coils: It’s best to stay within a vape device’s coil resistance range, as not all these box vape devices can fire at extremely low or extremely high resistances
Unregulated Vape Mods
Here are some simple instructions when using an unregulated vape box mod:
- Use the correct batteries – use only the best, high-quality batteries with unbroken wraps and top caps, buy only from trusted dealers, and avoid getting clones or knock-offs
- Look for airflow vents – air vents on a mech mod tube ensure the battery does not overheat and can vent gas
- Lock the firing pin – a mech mod uses the full power of a battery, so if the firing pin is not locked and misfires, it can overuse it and cause serious damage
Pros and Cons of Vape Mods
The Final Word on the Best Vape Mods of 2019
There are many types of vape box mod. They offer users a wide-range of vaping functions and features than e-cigarettes or smaller, more manageable vape pens. They can produce a larger amount of vapor and are the best when it comes to customization.
The best new vape mods of 2019 are made from durable, high-quality materials, with some units featuring the processing power of an advanced micro-chip that features safety protections and many adjustable settings. There are advantages and disadvantages to using a regulated vape, an unregulated vape or squonk vape device, but they each also have something for every kind of vaper.