Tank and mod electronic-cigarettes can be recharged, while the new electronic pod devices here are closed, meaning they are not refillable and are disposable. The new single-use, disposable pod vapes are usually filled with higher-concentration nicotine salts and appeal more to MTL vapers for their more intense vapor. The other devices are refillable and are typically more geared toward DL vaping and regular e-juice users, who consider these electronic cigs the best for their vapor production.
Top 7 Best Electronic Cigarettes
The best new electronic cigs on this list produce a smoother vapor than higher-powered electronic cigs. All the electronic cigs on this list feature easy-to-use setups that are guaranteed to deliver the best kind of vapor for its user. These devices feature the convenience of disposable electronic cigarettes, but some of these e-cigs are also reusable so vapers can continue enjoying the vapor they produce.
The Best E-Cigs of 2019: In-depth Guide
What Is an E-cigarette?
An e-cigarette aka e-cig is an electronic device with a battery, heating element, and a liquid tank. When someone inhales on an e-cig, it creates a breathable vapor out of a liquid often, but not always, containing liquid nicotine. The liquid contains other ingredients like propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin, along with different flavorings, that help make the vapor.
E-cigarettes come in two types:
- Refillable and reusable
- Non-refillable and disposable
No matter the type, every kind of e-cigarette contains three basic elements:
- Battery – The battery powers the heating element within the liquid tank that creates the vapor.
- Tank/coil – In e-cigs, a tank and coil, are often called cartomizers (cartridge + atomizer = cartomizer), wherein the coil aka heating element sits in the tank, along with the e-liquid and is not removable; in larger, more powerful vape mods, a coil is interchangeable, and a tank can take many different styles of coil
- Mouthpiece – The liquid tank often comes with the mouthpiece built-in, but, again, on more advanced vape mods, a mouthpiece is interchangeable, and can offer come with adjustable airflow
Disposable vs. Refillable
Early e-cigs were self-contained, meaning their parts were all in one, long, tube-like unit, and they were disposable. A user had to only inhale from the mouthpiece to activate the battery to heat the element and create vapor. When either the battery or e-liquid ran out, a user tossed the entire unit.
Many people still use disposable e-cigarettes, especially those who are experimenting with vaping instead of smoking a regular cigarette. Disposable e-cigs have that familiar cigarette-shape and feel, although many disposable vape units now feature a pod – pre-filled or refillable – that holds the e-juice in a particular cartridge that plugs into a separate battery section.
These pod mods or AIO (all-in-one) devices share the same elements as early disposable e-cigs (battery, coil, mouthpiece), but they come in a unique-looking device and look nothing like traditional e-cigs or cigarettes. Unlike the first e-cigs, these pod devices also have rechargeable batteries and, conversely, refillable pods.
With advances in technology, as well as user-inspired modifications, e-cigarettes became more user-friendly. 510-threading on batteries and tanks made them interchangeable so that vapers could switch them for other kinds of both.
With removable batteries, vapers could also recharge them, instead of throwing them out as soon as it was finished. The invention of the cartomizer also meant that vapers could vape their preferred e-juice flavor and with their choice of nicotine content, even no-nicotine vape juice.
New pod systems have taken those advances further. Rather than trying to look like traditional e-cigs, or even analog cigarettes, pod mods, as vapers call them, have taken on an untraditional form factor that is entirely new. These pod mods usually don’t have buttons and are draw-activated. They often do have more battery life than traditional disposable e-cigs, but disposable pods mods also exist.
Using an E-Cigarette
E-cigs have varying levels of difficulty, some are very straightforward, while others may be strange for new users. Of course, the disposable kind of e-cig requires almost no effort to use. Non-reusable e-cigs have air-activated batteries, so a user need only inhale from the mouthpiece to make vapor.
The battery does not, and cannot, be charged, so a user needs to throw it away when it’s done. There is also no refilling of the e-juice container necessary with a disposable. A reusable e-cigarette, on the other hand, does require some effort and practice to use.
When opening a new e-cigarette box, before using it, users should, first:
- Charge the battery – A few units may come with a half-charged battery, but use either the charging cable or USB charger or wall adapter to charge any e-cigarette cell fully
- Fill the tank/atomizer – When the battery is full, take the refillable cartomizer or tank and fill it with e-liquid, as e-cigarettes have a low power output, using a high-PG e-juice will result in a mouth-to-lung vaping experience that is very similar to smoking a real cigarette
- Attach the tank/atomizer to the battery – The universal threading for most e-cig batteries and tanks is 510, or the eGO threads that can attach to any similar-threaded tank or cartomizer, make sure the battery is off when connecting the tank
- Turn on the battery, start vaping – E-cigs with buttons (manual operation) takes five clicks to turn on, whereas, disposable e-cigs and refillable pod system have no buttons (automatic operation) and the user needs to inhale from the mouthpiece to activate the battery and coil
Health and Safety Concerns
Both disposable and reusable kinds of e-cigarettes are safe and carry little to no risk to the user, although users should always make sure their device is in good condition before using it. Cases on the news where an “e-cigarette” exploded detail a different type of vaping device. An unregulated, mech mod, which is the type of the device that can potentially cause harm has nothing to do with the e-cigarettes listed on this page.
All the devices here are low-powered and straightforward to use, so there is little that can go wrong with them. Regardless, e-cig users should still stick to a few basic operating rules to make sure that their vape is a safe one:
- Keep your e-cigarettes, and e-liquid, away from kids and pets
- Do not expose your e-cig to direct sunlight or extreme cold
- Read and study the instruction manual before using the device
- Turn off the battery (if it is a manual battery) when not in use
Do E-cigs Affect Health?
The vapor of an e-cig has none of the over 7,000 chemicals released by the burning of a regular tobacco cigarette. With that said, e-cigarettes are still not approved as smoking cessation devices, and should not be considered as such. Nicotine is an addictive chemical, and vapers should decide on their own whether they want to vape e-liquid with or without nicotine.
As for the safety of the vapor, some studies show e-cigarette use is 95% safer than smoking cigarettes, but there are also studies that show how vaping an e-cigarette can lead to regular cigarette smoking, especially among young people.
The debate over the relative safety of e-cigarettes compared to smoking cigarettes continues. In the US, the e-cig industry is tightly regulated, and in many places, the sale of any e-cig product – including e-juice – is restricted to anyone younger than 21.
Where to Get E-Cigarettes?
E-cigs are available from several different retailers, from gas stations to convenience stores, but these places sell mostly disposable single-use devices. As such, they probably won’t have a lot of know-how on the best e-cigarettes or advice on different types of devices.
Local vape shops would be the best place to go for advice and the latest vape gear, even though it may come at a steep mark-up. In that case, online vape shops are the best bet for not only a wide selection of e-cigarettes but accessories, vape juices, and other stuff. Online vape retailers also run several offers and discounts all year-round, so they are an excellent place to get a deal as well.
What Is the Best E-Cig?
The best e-cig for anyone is the one that appeals to their tastes. If a person enjoys the hobby-aspect of vaping and likes to tinker or modify their devices, they could start with a tank and mod combo that can come with different settings and styles of vaping. If someone is getting into vaping, they might find button-free, disposable devices the best for their needs.
The earlier, cig-a-like models inspired the pod devices that are popular now. A few of them keep the disposable aspect, but they have been deconstructed and turned into something completely different than those earlier versions. If pod mods descended from cig-a-likes, then it is interesting to see what type of e-cig the pods will inspire in the future.